Friday, September 2, 2011

Cornbread and Butterbeans for Labor Day

I am a sucker for a banjo - and I love cornbread and butterbeans.

Getting in a North Carolina frame of mind as Sam and I prep to head to Goldsboro, North Carolina to visit our friend Holly and her husband, Dan.

I found this little gem from a fabulous string band called the Carolina Chocolate Drops performing for the Blue Plate Special on WDVX in Knoxville, TN. I used to listen to the Blue Plate Special while on the road as a case manager for a psychiatric hospital in Tennessee. Here is a little toe-tapping song to begin your holiday weekend -- I mean come on, the man is playing bones and a jug!

More on the significance of Black String Bands here.  Read it.

This holiday promises rest, football, the lake, good food and good company.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never know what I'll find here! Cornbread and butterbeans! Yee Haw! Thanks for sharing...it was a toe tapper! Maw