Bottom: Brady and Tayiah Baxter. Second cousins on my side.
So Ada and I were able to take a quick jaunt home last weekend (sorry close friends, it was a 2 1/2 day trip that consisted of lots of Grandma's, Great Grandma's, Grandpa's, Aunts and lots of cousins!).
It was the perfect trip; although I regret that one of Sam's sisters and his grandparents have not been able to meet Ada.
Everyone told me, "Oh, this is an easy age to travel with." I agree that having Ada immobile made it easier, but traveling with an infant is no laughing matter. Spit-up and poop in an airport is NOT fun. Add nursing, luggage and a stroller on top of that and you have an adventure! I must admit, Ada was a doll on the airplane by sleeping through most of the flight(s) and smiling at a few strangers.
I had to laugh occasionally at the stares I got walking through the terminal (wearing Ada in our Baby Bjorn) while pushing a stroller that had my carry-on and diaper bag in it. The stares that didn't make me laugh, however, were the looks of dread when I got ON the plane. One woman said, "oh man, we forgot our earplugs."
Sam and I used to be those people. I am happy we aren't anymore.
I so appreciated the other Moms AND Dads who offered to help put my carry-on overhead...and open the bag of pretzels for me to snack on since my hands were occupied. I also enjoyed learning about their kids and hearing funny stories about their traveling adventures.
The most interesting characters on the plane included a woman who was traveling back to El Salvador with her husband. They had traveled by boat from Washington to S. America and were living on their houseboat (with a 10 ft. Alligator living nearby); a 2 year adventure that they planned for over 10 years. Their next destination was to Copan to see Mayan temples. I really enjoyed that conversation. I can't really say the same for the other "character". He was possibly the kindest man I've ever met but he had an obsession with Terminator movies. Yep, I spent the bulk of my plane ride (LAX to PDX) hearing about Sarah Conner (trying not to laugh at myself because all I could hear in the back of my mind was Sam's impersonation of Ah-nold saying "Sarah Cah-na"). He repeated, verbatim (I guess), several scenes from various Terminator movies. I obliged him with many "oh's" and "mmm-hmm's." What the heck, not much else to do but make him uncomfortable with my nursing bib and hungry kid!
The best part of the trip was getting to share Ada with her family, getting to rest and spending time in my most favorite place - Oregon!
1 comment:
Oh I'm so sad I missed all the cousins together! Glad you had a good trip!
Post a Comment