Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Winding down and gearing up

Today was my last day of work until July 14th. It was a very productive and stressful day, as expected. The past two days have been a delicate balance of recognizing my limits, yet trudging along to get as much done as possible. A close co-worker of mine told me today, after noticing that I came in way early for work, "Michele, you're not going to get it all done." My co-worker was right -- I was prepared to finish it all today and yet the unexpected bumps that needed to be handled prevented me from realizing my unrealistic expectations. It will take me a few days to shake it all off; but rest, good food and good company (Sam) will help me prepare for the next transition in my life. I am glad that I added a few days to the beginning of my leave -- I know I need the time to prepare and shift my brain from work to birth. Right now it's on the primaries in Indiana and N. Carolina. Lucky for our child she is a girl, otherwise I am sure Sam would insist we choose "Barack" as the name. [Sam adds: Ada Obama Schwartz has a nice ring to it].

My agenda tomorrow -- sleep in, maybe go on a walk, drink some herbal tea & black cohosh, and see where the day takes me. I promised my friend at work that I wouldn't do housework...knowing me, I will probably break that particular promise.

I have my next prenatal appointment at the birth center on Friday. I am really looking forward on preparing for labor and parenthood. And yes, I know, I am crazy for trying to deliver without medications -- but hey, just let me try - OK?

I can feel her moving and hiccuping right now. This is the coolest experience ever, period.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hey Shelly & Sam-
Finally something to read & view in your blog! I talked with your mom yesterday - she is so excited for the trip! We are getting ready for high school graduation & Kimmy's 21st birthday! By the way -did I tell you she & Billy are engaged??? August 1, 2009!! I sent you a little something for Mother's Day - keep us posted!!
Love - Karen & Family

Schwartz said...

Engaged! That's great. Mother's day! But I'm not a Mom yet :) Thank you!!! Now you need to keep me posted, too.