When the city dance program Ada is part of opened its doors for parents, allowing us to come in and watch our children practice in the studio for one night only, Sam agreed to stay home with the boys so I could attend.
I was excited to see what she has been learning, and jumped at the chance to take pictures and soak in my girl flitting about the dance studio in her ballet slippers.
I was in for so much more than I anticipated though.
She hung on Ms. Ebony's every word.
She had sweet interactions with her closest friends in class.
She was disciplined in a way that surprised me and made me so proud.
It was the first time I really appreciated Ada as a person all her own -- separate from me, separate from her Dad, separate from our family. It is a wonderful thing to watch, and yet the distance that this level of independence creates is uncomfortable.
I knew it would happen.
Preschool.
Dance.
All of the experiences that you want for your children so they can learn, and grow, and have fun -- they are good, and independence is good, and learning who you are is good.
It's all good.
Learning how to slowly let go is my job...and "it ain't easy," folks.
But you already knew that, didn't you.
The easy job? Watching this girl DANCE!
| Ada and her fellow ballerinas will be "birds" in a performance of Cinderella at their recital in June |
3 comments:
Letting go: by far the hardest part of parenting. I've really been noticing Travis and Jayna, especially, gaining so much more independence lately...and yes, it's a very good thing for them. But it hurts me! Wish I could see Ada dance!
Love that little bird! Gma C.
So precious! And yes, letting go IS the most difficult part...just wait til you drop them off at college!
Savor EVERY moment! Love the pics, Maribeth/Grandma
Post a Comment