2011 is proving to be eventful already, and we haven't even completed a full month of it yet. Let's play catch-up, shall we?
Many of you may not be aware that for a minute, Sam and I thought I would have to return to work. I spent a good two weeks scouring the classifieds and Craigslist, and every non-profit website I could find to apply for a job. You see, this whole plan I had to care for children in our home to help support our family so I could remain a Stay-At-Home-Mom wasn't working out for us. We found a family who committed to us last Fall, but when it came down to it, it didn't happen. So, I submitted applications and a week later was called in by a counseling agency about 3o minutes away. I interviewed and they offered me a job providing in-home counseling to traumatized and at-risk children. Wouldn't you know it, the day they offered me a job was the day I got a slough of emails from parents asking about me providing childcare. Options are really nice. Let's just say that I get to stay home with my fabulous children thanks to Charlie A, Charlie B, Thurston, and Logan! No, I won't be watching all of them at the same time. Some are part-time, some are only for a few months, some don't even begin until March, but I am grateful for them because they will allow me what I want most dearly in life right now - to be home with my children. Needless to say, we will be overrun with boys and Ada is THRILLED about it. Well, that's not true - she is having some serious turf issues, but, she'll manage the adjustment.
Onto a more somber tone. Sam and I have been, along with the country, mourning the tragedy that took place in our former desert home on a day we will never forget. Having friends who are so close to the victims, and many that were first responders to the scene, not to mention that she was our Congresswoman, has made us grieve in ways that have been unexpected and jolting. Everything I attempt to write here seems not enough. I can only say that I hold on to these babes of mine a little harder and a little longer and am grateful everyday for them.
Sam began classes this week and is excited to get to teach a literature course in addition to the teaching load he had last Semester. This role reversal has taken some getting used to for both of us, but we like it!
Quentin is growing exponentially - 11lb, 11oz and 24 inches at his appointment last week. He is responding to us more, smiling and cooing during his waking moments. My heart hurts everytime I look at him, which is an incredible feeling. He makes all of us smile, Ada included.
Ada finally has enough hair for me to pull up into a mini-pony-tail. Her verbal and fine motor skills are also improving on a daily basis. She is very good at coloring, staying in the lines and drawing "faces" and "candy canes". She proudly displays them on the "prader" - that's Ada speak for "refrigerator". Just yesterday I asked her to "be careful" around Quentin and she swiftly told me to "settle down". What a kid.
We hope the remainder of 2011 is kind to us and all of you. Happy Belated New Year!
5 comments:
Oh yay, I'm so happy for you to be at home! I do hope the daycare works out! Pics are adorable. Hugs! Mb
Glad you get to stay home with your babies! Ada has friends!! Quentin is a cutie, looks like you I think. Mom
Great pictures!! And I'm lol about "settle down" :)
Love the smiles! I showed these to Granny Goose in her recovery bed and it made her smile. She said right away, "he looks like Ada." :)
Cute pictures! I'm so glad everything is working out for you to be able to stay at home during this time. Best of luck and love to you!
Post a Comment