Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Growing pains

Somebody wriggled her entire body into one of my pant legs and then flopped around like a mermaid

Well, let me start off by saying that Ada popped the first letter of her brother's first name off of the laptop so I can't spell his name - which is rather fitting considering the purpose of this post is to share the growing pains we are experiencing under our roof. Things were going along wonderfully with Ada until we hit his 6 week birthday. Apparently the newness of a baby in the house has worn off. The past 2 weeks have been very difficult.

I will back up by saying that our "sweet boy" (a nice substitute for actually spelling his name) is allergic to dairy. I knew something was wrong, talked with the pediatrician and she suggested I remove all dairy (whey and casin, too) out of my diet. I'll live without cheese, chocolate and bread if it means a happy baby. Unhappy, miserable babies make you want to cry. Happy babies make you smile. He is happy now - or at least once he hit 6 weeks...enter the frustrated 2yo (it almost seems redundant putting "frustrated" and "2 year old" in the same sentence together, doesn't it?).

I won't go into the details, but it's everything you would expect from a very determined, "do it myself", growing toddler who is realizing that Mom and Dad have other responsibilities in the house that don't revolve around her.

In spite of it all, I am cherishing the moments that make Ada who she is. Funny, focused, tender hearted, determined (there is that word again) and my sweet little girl.

I thought you might enjoy the moments as well.

Enjoying our Christmas snow, her new boots and new hat/mittens (thanks Santa, thanks Mel & Eric).


With her new found sense of independence comes a need to dress and attempts to diaper herself. Today she insisted on picking out my socks and shoes and putting them on my feet. I was the talk of the town.



This was by far my favorite holiday activity with her, aside from making our holiday cards this year. Santa loved the cookies and milk we left for him.



Many thanks to our family and friends for helping make Christmas a very special day for us.


...and this post wouldn't be complete without our "sweet boy" who really doesn't need to go by any other name.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look so forward to these posts!That sweet little boy and the mermaid! Doesn't get any better! Love you guys, Mom

Steve & Sarabeth said...

That really is funny/ironic that she pulled the Q off!

Anonymous said...

But she's still angel enough to wear the angel pj's! Mom S.