Ada's temperament these days has me concerned about what the "terrible two's" might bring us, and whether or not I have the patience to manage through it. She melts at the slightest hint of discipline. I'm not kidding - it's epic screaming and throwing herself on the ground. I have no choice but to step over her and leave the room when she acts this way, or put her in a time out when it doesn't stop. She melts when I give her the look (I don't think it's that scary?!). Sometimes Sam and I have fake conversations just to make a point that we're ignoring her when she acts this way.
It's not OK for her to go running out into the parking lot as soon as we open the back gate, right? Seems dangerous, right? I ask her to "come back", and when she doesn't, I walk out to get her myself to return her to the yard before some car comes barreling around the corner. She falls into a heap and starts screaming her head off. This was the scene upon my arrival home today from work. Sam reports she's been like this all afternoon.
The truth is that she's been like this off and on for several weeks now. I had plans to take her to a local event earlier this evening but scrapped that idea when she wouldn't stop screaming and flailing about. We had to put her in 2 time-outs, and I have no idea that they are even working...she's been in 3 time-outs this past week. I have moments with strong urges to crack her on the rear-end, but remind myself that Sam and I don't want to do that...oh but the urge is strong sometimes!
Patience. I need patience.
Are we doing something wrong?
6 comments:
Excuse a grandma's opinion or disregard it but...time outs have their time and place but sometimes a quick pop on the rear has more effect! (It may be the shock factor.) :) Grandma S.
the pop on the rear happened this morning. I was done.
I agree with Grandma S. a pop on the rear isn't going to hurt! She needs to know her boundaries and who's the boss! Grandma C.
Tantrums can be the most frustrating things to deal with. Sorry :( Hopefully she will move passed them once she sees that they aren't getting her what she wants.
Looks like Ethan and Ada are cut from the same cloth!
You're not doing something wrong.
She will grow out of it...I promise.
Mel
I think her dad received a few pops on his rear and he turned out pretty good! :) AT least, his mom thinks so!
Post a Comment