Sunday, January 4, 2009

Planes, Trains and Automobiles


























Well, not quite.

Sam and I just returned from the Pacific Northwest after visting family for the holidays. A few days in Washington to see Sam's grandparents, sisters, brother's-in-law and nieces and nephews; a week in Eugene, OR to see my family, and a week in Klamath Falls, OR to visit Sam's family and my best friend.

We arrived in Portland just in time. The airport closed a few days after we landed due to a snow/ice storm. Sam and I made a mad dash to Littlerock, WA following a seamless plane ride with Ada.

We enjoyed our time with Grandma and Grandpa Schwartz; visiting, feeding chickens and sharing our newest family member with her Great Grandparents. The next day we drove to Tacoma to visit Sam's sisters, brother's-in-law, niece and nephews. It was so much fun watching Ada interact with her cousins, and learn so much from them!!

The drive down to Eugene was treacherous. We ended up staying the night in Portland, getting stuck twice near our hotel and relied ont he kindness of strangers to help us out. There were NO gloves, ice-scrapers or chains at the local Fred Meyer. Fortunately a Les Schwab tire center was nearby (I wish there was a Les Schwab in Tucson), so Sam made the trek the next morning to drop too much money on chains that would get us about 60 miles! I was just thankful to get home safely, and Ada did fairly well given the stressful traveling conditions! I'm not sure I have ever seen I-5 look like that! We had a great time in Eugene, and even though Sam and Ada got sick (preventing us from making surprise visits to meet friends), we enjoyed every moment.

The drive to Klamath was uneventful, but driving back to Eugene from Klamath was a white-knuckle trip. We saw slush, snow, ice, hail, rain and then sun! So strange! Driving over the pass was slippery and scary - again, glad we made it safe and sound to the airport.

Ada got to meet her Aunt and Uncle, and my best friend for the very first time in KFO. Sam and I even got to go on a date, thanks to Grandma S. As usual, we had a nice time (even though Ada was exceptionally cranky - and I mean CRANKY).

Ada changed so much in the two weeks we were away - she can now make 'B' and 'D' noises, sit up on her own, pick up things with her little fingers, and reach for her Mom and Dad...she is also much more vocal, particularly when she is unhappy (did I mention cranky?). We came home with a different kid - she is so much fun. It will be hard to go back to work in the morning.

Here are a few photos of Ada's first Christmas - what fun!!!! Ada is obviously loved, and recieved such kind and generous gifts from everyone we visited. Thanks to everyone for a memborable first Christmas with our desert baby!!!

No comments: