I really enjoy reading the blogs at helenjane.com. She is a friend of a friend, and a new Mom who writes beautiful and funny posts. Her most recent post made me chuckle, and reminded me of my maternity leave when I was nursing for what felt like every moment of the day.
Seriously, Ada was ravenous.
Here is her post:
"Dude, baby has eaten every two hours for one hour for the past 36 hours.
So, it’s like, sleep an hour, feed a baby off your teat for an hour,
sleep an hour, feed a baby, sleep an hour, etc.
And then do that again for a day or two.
I won’t lie, I love the exhaustion. In that “brag in the future” kind of way." - helenjane
Here is another post that really has nothing to do with feeding, but something I think most Mom's can relate to:
Asked of me by various people in the past 48 hours:
“Don’t you ever put a hat on this baby?”
“Didn’t you put sunscreen on her?”
“Can’t you see the sun is hitting her in the eyes?”
Sigh. I’ll get there. - helenjane
I have found nursing to be very rewarding, and yet very difficult when combined with a full-time job. Pumping is just not as efficient as baby; and I worry constantly about my dwindling supply (which doesn't help). I have started the Traditional Medicine Tea (or is it Traditional Herbs?) and Yogi Tea which is supposed to help. I have read just about everything possible...and yet a busy day with lots of meetings, in a new position at a newly merged agency makes it a real challenge to take 20 minutes, 3 times a day to pump. I have been fairly rigid about scheduling the time on my calendar; spacing meetings out if I can, and eating my lunch at the computer so that I can commit to this practice; but I must admit, it's not easy.
I also find that while many groups I am part of are very supportive of my nursing with Ada in the room (with my bib, of course), that some folks are really clueless. For example, I was at an all-day training recently and knew that there would only be one 15-minute break in the day. So I went to the trainer before we began and quietly asked if there was some place I could pump, "since I'm a nursing mom". She asked, "well why can't you use the bathroom?" in an uncompromising tone. The bathroom, mind you, was right off of the training room, and there was only one. When I explained that this might not be the most comfortable place for myself, or the other participants (pumps are loud), she suggested that I go to the building next door and ask for an empty office. I thanked her for the suggestion. She then asked, "how long is going to take you?"
I had a "Scrubs" moment, imagining myself drop-kicking her out the front door.
I decided to take extra long pumping breaks in the empty office next door, just because.
I have found lots of support from other working moms at the "mom and baby group" Ada and I attend at the Birth Center on Saturdays. They recommended the tea, drinking lots of fluids and other tips to help me along. One woman at the group has even donated some of her milk for me to supplement, since I am having trouble keeping up with the little one (BTW, this woman is helping to feed 4 other kids, along with her own! Amazing!).
Ada is doing fine. She has chunky legs, is growing even longer (25 inches!) and seems happy as a lamb.
If she could talk I bet she'd say, "Chill out Mom."
Then she'd say, "I'm hungry."
No comments:
Post a Comment